|Do you know where your variables are?|
Wow -- excellent overview!
Re: answering BioPerl questions, the BP list email@example.com is a great place to see good examples by BP gurus. Very generally, we
1) prod politely for code/data if necessary;
2) give short answers to FAQs using links to an appropriate HOWTO or Scrapbook example;
3) give longer answers if the questions are deep, usually with code examples;
4) start long developer discussions if the questions are interesting;
5) admit guilt if the problem is actually a bug, then fix it;
6) generally assume the supplicant is completely ignorant, but infinitely intelligent.
I highly encourage monks to check out the wiki for easily distributed packets of sageliness.cheers FB