I have a (few) typical web applications using postgresql database, apache2 and mod_perl2 which does a lot of webby things; like generate and consume json via ajax, CRUD on database, page templating, sessions and acl enforcement, manage url rewriting and redirects, search, etc, etc.
I have applied a series of optimizations to make things perform good and generally happy with the results e.g.
- Apache mpm: for my app prefork worked best
- I removed unused apache modules
- Keepalive: I have enabled and tweaked
- benchmarked the perl app and tweaked iteratively slow functions
- reduced number of perl deps
- put in place CDN for static (using nginx to deliver)
In addition, I used yslow and chrome developer browser extensions to identify any bottlenecks or things I could do better.
Searching the perlmonks archives I have found little in the way of up-to-date advice for optimisations and thought it might be appropriate to ask the question for 2010.
Dear monks, what tricks, tips, or links do you use to squeeze the most out of your perl web apps ? tia
update- changed reference to LAMP for the pedants amongst us
update- small edit
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||