- You have a deck of cards (52).
- You remove the top card.
- You deal the remaining cards among 4 players.
- You end up one short.
- Now, you collect all cards again.
- This time, you don't remove the top card.
- You deal the remaining card among the 4 players.
Do you now wonder how it comes that if you don't remove the top card, you can deal 52 cards evenly, but you cannot if you do?
That's the same what's happening here. There are 2 matches of twinkle in your string. If you first match one, then the rest, the "rest" only matches once. If you only match "the rest", you get both matches.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||