Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
In my endeavour to learn perl I built a little project for the folks at perlmonks. A flair generator :)
It's called http://www.perlmonksflair.com.
It was made with perl, varnish, dancer, starman and lots of love!
Just stick your username into the end of the url with a "jpg" and voila! You have a cool looking badge with neat graphics based on your level, all designed by my dear friend Jennifer Holt.
Enjoy! Please tell me what you think? Suggestions, feedback and insults all welcome. (There were talks with my designer about different themes and possibly an LOTR theme in tengwar?)
Feel free to post issues here : https://github.com/gideondsouza/perlmonksflair
Updates 12-Dec-13 :
Updates 29-Sept-13 :
- Site was down for some odd reason. Brought it back up.
Updates 10-Sept-13 :
- Cleanups and some refactoring
- The project is now a cpan module : PerlMonksFlairApp
Updates 21-Aug-13 :
- Changed the sizes for levels, making them smaller and also fit on the badge in all cases.
- Fixed crashes when user is initiate. (Really sorry about this one!)
Updates 3-May-15 :
- Flair badge will now show the actual level "Priest", "Monk" instead of a level.
- Fixed crash for usernames with spaces, dots and hyphens
- App ensures it gets a user (?type=user) so it works for a user like "japh"
- Experience shows up in black text for Scribe. (This is a wee bit of a hack) I shall talk to my designer.
- Images are now cached for 5 days. There is some additional browser caching added.
- www.perlmonksflair.com was down for several months, .. I had a seizure and was diagnosed with a mild brain tumor so I couldn't keep up with things, especially because I'd lost memory from my seizure and forgot how I set things up...hahaha! It's been a wonderful experience, no sarcasm intended..
- The site is now up.. but will be slow because I haven't been able to get varnish 4.0 running.
- (See if you could help me with the varnish problem : http://serverfault.com/questions/688225/basic-varnish-4-0-setup-doesnt-seem-to-work
Thanks for reporting all those issues :)
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] |