||Sep 08, 2003 at 18:05 UTC
(14 years ago)
||Mar 05, 2007 at 17:39 UTC
(11 years ago)
|Location:||Webster Groves, Missouri USA|
Dec 17, 2017 at 20:33 UTC
|For this user:||Search nodes|
Programmer for last 21 years, alot of PC stuff, some Mac.
Mostly pc based RDBMS's and VB-client/server with Oracle.
Very tired of all that, so I'm learning Perl for both
Linux and Win32 platforms and eagerly apply Perl at work
whenever I get the chance (so far server admin stuff)
Officially back to programming. I am now learning VB.Net and ASP.Net. No Perl work in sight, and after a full day of learning .Net I'm not inclined to tinker with Perl right now. Perl skills .....getting rusty....must warn ....others.....
- Reading (sci-fi, horror, Stephen King, Jack Ketchum, Terry Pratchett, history)
- Progressive rock from the 70's (think Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, etc...)
- Programming (Perl and .Net)
- Science (weather and astronomy in particular)
- Computer games (Civilization III/Conquests and The Sims are current favs)
- I'm a huge Simpsons fan -but I frown on the episode about gay marriage :-(
Things I'd like to do
- Learn German, Latin, and Japanese and at least be familiar with these languages
- Learn basic calculus
- Fly a plane, at least once
- Ride in a hot air ballon
- Travel to Europe, mainly Germany
- learn to play an instrument (electric guitar or bass)
- Create my own scripting language using Perl to make the interpreter
Origins of nick 'RolandGunslinger'
If you've ever read Stephen King's Dark Tower series you'd know. If you haven't... Roland is the central character in SK's dark fantasy epic. I think Roland is more of the kind of person I'd like to be, twirling my sandlewood handled sixshooters whilst chewing on a cigar stub (for some reason it seems appropriate), confidently facing danger, and his fears.
What's with the cow picture? (See above)
Beats me, but I don't look much better than this anyways.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------