||Jan 01, 2001 at 01:14 UTC
||May 15, 2012 at 17:35 UTC
(1 year ago)
|Location:||Washington, DC, USA|
May 18, 2013 at 20:25 CEST
Learn Spanish in Washington, DC
I got married to Sònia Salas Vilches of Barcelona, Spain, 28 December 2000 (el día de los santos inocentes-- ¡pero no era una inocentada!)
Welcome Home! About zeno...
I founded the Barcelona Perl Mongers. Now I
live in Washington, DC.
I also hang out at http://www.javajunkies.org where I'm known as (you guessed it) zeno.
Zeno of Elea was a philosopher who came up with a "proof" that motion was inherently impossible. The paradox figures heavily in one of my favorite books: Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter.
My Home Page
What I'm cooking up in perl now:
- yapat - Yet Another Perl Aptitude Test! Tests perlfunc knowledge and teaches useing a weighted scoring system. This is implemented at Yet Another Perl Aptitude Test (yapat)
- A module to update the InterShop 4.2 Sybase database directly (almost done!)
- Spanish Language Stuff:
- A Spanish language module, which would, among other things, return a Spanish text version of any number given to it. This is done, but I need to add an option for gender, and make it a bit more Perlish (I did this in my learning perl phase).
- ...Also, a Spanish regular verb conjugator. This is dead easy. I'll try and extend this to cover common irregular verbs.
- A Spanish verb tester which would give the user a verb root, a person, and a tense, and have the person type in the correct verb form. I saw this in a translator/calculator one time, but I want a smarter one, which records your score and grills you more on the verbs you miss regularly.
- The above Spanish Language stuff in Catalan!
- A program to translate time into Swatch beats (DONE!)
- A junk mail filter-- this is pretty well done, but could be a lot smarter if I could get MIME::tools to work
- Understanding OO (yes, I have the faq).
What I'm reading today
I have this bad habit of keeping four books going at once. This is probably very bad, but I can't help myself. Here it is:
- Ulysses by James Joyce: FINISHED
- Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter: I love this book. I got it when I was 16, when the first edition came out. I've read it all, but never from front to back! So I've decided to try reading it like a normal human being. Update: FINISHED!
- Programming Perl by Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen, and Jon Orwant. Of course.
- Vurt by Jeff Noon (in Spanish): I lived in Barcelona for five years.
- Mastering Regular Expressions by Jeff Friedl
- Weaving the Web by Tim Berners-Lee
Stuff I like:
- Rubik's Cube: I can do it in about a two minutes twenty seconds. I started playing with this when I stopped smoking, and quickly became addicted,
- Geeky t-shirts: I have my periodic table one on now.
- Playing guitar: I've been playing acoustic since I was 11 (
25 3031 years ago!)(I just editted this and realized I first wrote this 56 years ago!). I like James Taylor, Cat Stevens, CSN(& sometimes Y)...
- Star Trek!
- Speaking Spanish-- I lived in Spain 1999-2004. I want to learn Catalan, too.
- Perl and c++. SVGALIB
- name: Tim Allen
- 1986 grad of Naval Academy, CompSci.
- 1986-91 Marine Corps.
- 1991-93 US Peace Corps, Seychelles Islands.
- Programmed Visual Basic, then Oracle, then saw the light and started working in perl in 98.
- On Tom Christiansen & Nathan Torkington's scale, I think I am a Perl Adept
My Geek Code:
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GCS/MU/O/L d- s:++ a+ C++++ UBL+ P+++$ L++ E--- W++ N- K V w PS++ PE Y+ PGP
t+ 5 X+ R+ tv b+++ DI D+ G e++ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------