You know, I'm leaning towards not fixing what's not broken. It might not be hip or sexy, but for this application SSI has much to recommend it.
in reply to Re: A modern Perl repalcement for Apache Server Side Includes?
in thread A modern Perl repalcement for Apache Server Side Includes?
- Zero learning curve
- already installed, ready to go, proven, stable
- No more resource hungry than a templating system
- While it does use resources each page serve, this is a low-traffic site on a private server that won't even notice the minor load
- Although it is static, the content and the nav bar do change from time to time. An off-line generator would mean having to re-generate the entire website each time any page was updated, adding steps of complexity in a a situation where pages may be edited by multiple authors who have limited web skills to being with. Or I have to develop an interface for that function too. Whereas with SSI, edit the file directly once, and that's it, done.
- same for the nav bar, which changes occasionally;
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.