I spent the Easter vacation with my son and friends in the country
. I took my netbook with me, just in case, because a colleague of mine asked me to add a new feature to my survey web application. Once the boy fell asleep, I turned the netbook on to realize that I forgot to reinstall the CPAN modules after upgrading the OS and Perl, and that there was no wi-fi.
Instead of turning the computer off, I gave the situation some thought. After few minutes of thinking and locating, I discovered I still had all the CPAN build directories for the modules (mostly Plack and Dancer & their dependencies) in my .cpan directory. It was not so hard to create a script that went through all of them (sorted by last access time so I did not have to bother about dependencies) and rebuilt all the packages. After several minutes, I was able to start the application and began implementing the feature.