This surprises me. On many occasions I’ve seen a Consideration requesting that an approved node be transferred to another section, so I assumed that a node, once approved, couldn’t be transferred via the “Move to:” option in the Approval Nodelet. Was I wrong?
I’m also surprised that moving a node should cancel its approval. Is this a bug, or is it the expected behaviour?
Recently Active Threads is organised into categories — Questions, Meditations, etc. — and each category has a title which links to the relevant section in PerlMonks. If, e.g., I click on Questions, it takes me to Seekers of Perl Wisdom.
A recent post by choroba has put Categorized Answers onto RAT. But clicking on that heading takes me only to a Super Search for “New Categorized Answers”, which finds nothing. Is this a broken link?
The [kobes://foo] and [kobes://foo] link shortcut used to point to a certain CPAN search server. It appears in hundreds of nodes. Those links are now broken. [kobes://XML::Twig] points to a Not Found page, and [kobes://] points to the webpage of Archimedes Math Schools. (Luckily, the argumentless form is barely used.) What should we do with these links, and their documentation? Leave broken as is and document that it's broken, leave broken except the argumentless form, redirect to some other CPAN search server, render as non-linked text, remove the shortcut, link to a faqlet explaining that that search server is gone?
FYI ... when I stumble-upon certain mainline sections, such as Meditations or Perl Monks Discussion, ... and for some (but not all?) threads listed on those pages ... I lately observe that the content is often manydays(!) out-of-date ... until I log in.
I think that this problem varies from one major-topic to another ... e.g. Seekers vs. Meditations vs. PMD.)
Specifically, I think that I am seeing “cache artifacts” that seem to vary(!) between “headline” pages and “particular threads” within a topic ... but, not necessarily consistently. Sometimes I think that I am seeing a “fresh” page, while sometimes I think that a “neighboring” page is, in fact, “very stale.” (I generally suspect that “the headline page” is the one, of the two, that is “very stale.”) Given that I dump my local browser cache many times a day, I do not believe that local-caching is the root cause of this problem.
Is there a procedure for finding an uncreated preview node?
A couple of times now I've started a post but got interrupted before I pushed "create" and so far have found no reliable way to easily find what I started. If I don't go too far astray, I can keep pushing the back arrow in my browser and find it, but if I log off or otherwise close the page I can't always find it again. I have not been able to find much searching about preview here except the threads on wanting a preview capability for updates.
Note that when working on longer posts I've kept text in an offline file to edit and copy from, but that seems to be a pain for relatively small posts, but I guess I could make that a habit.
I just considered Digest::MD5 addfile() w/ tied filehandle to fix a spelling mistake in the name of the module under discussion. The node was already approved and front-paged. Following the consideration, the node is marked (CA) in Recently Active Threads (Full Thread view). Before consideration, it was marked (FA). So, the F (for Front Page) has now dropped out, although the node is still on the Front Page.
Nothing earth-shaking here, I know, but — is this the expected behaviour, or is it a bug? I expected the node to be displayed with (CFA) following the consideration.
Has there been a change to the display of reaped nodes?
In looking through a thread, I used to see nodes that were marked as “reaped.” The content of these nodes wasn’t visible, but there was a link to see that content if one wanted to. Now, threads I know to contain reaped nodes no longer show them at all.
This used to be configurable via one of the user settings. So my thought was that my setting had somehow been changed from “show reaped nodes” to “don’t show reaped nodes” — but now I can’t even find that setting anywhere.
So, am I imagining things, or has the site been changed to no longer show reaped nodes? I see they are still accessible via the homepage of he who must not be named, just not in the threads where they were posted.
Don’t get me wrong, if this change has been made then I’m all for it. I’ve long thought it was counter-intuitive to mark a node as “reaped” and yet still make it (relatively) easy to see what it said. I’m just surprised that no announcement has been made in Tidings (and a Super Search on “reaped nodes” shed no light on the issue).
A couple of times when I'm searching for some perlmonks users in Google (for example, say I want to know the threads in which "perlancar" posts something or is mentioned), what come up instead are pages where the username is found in the "Other Users" section in the right sidebar.
Google (and probably other search engines too) allow us to put hints to parts of a page which should not be indexed. In Google case, we can use the googleon/googleoff comments. The details are here:
Excluding Unwanted Text from the Index