in reply to Re: Re: Perl and Oracle Designer
in thread Perl and Oracle Designer
Nevermind that we spend more time conforming to arbitrary standards than we do developing money-making software.
If you can quantify this, and then translate it into dollars lost versus dollars saved, you'd have a case to bring to management to at least reduce the frequency of changes if not reduce the number of changes altogether.
- how many minutes per day do you spend making changes to conform to standards?
- how many minutes are spent by the committee reviewing and changing the standards?
- how many people are in the committee?
here's the kicker, ask them how much of this money being spent is benefiting the customer!
- measure these items over the course of one month.
- compute the number of hours
- compute the amount of money spent by multiplying the hours by the average hourly wage (you'll have to figure this out yourself)
- multiply this number by 12 to get the yearly estimated cost
What time is it? It's Camel Time!