OK, I got to it before giving him a chance. It was just a silly problem where the closing </i> was missing from all /me's, because it was provided always, if the new code was off. Fixed. The fact that the new code let the error propogate past that single line of chatter, and into the rest of the chatterbox (but not the rest of the page) isn't the fault of the new code, but rather how often we "screen" the HTML -- once per rendering of the nodelet, rather then once per line.
Warning: Unless otherwise stated, code is untested. Do not use without understanding. Code is posted in the hopes it is useful, but without warranty. All copyrights are relinquished into the public domain unless otherwise stated. I am not an angel. I am capable of error, and err on a fairly regular basis. If I made a mistake, please let me know (such as by replying to this node).