I can't speak for the market, but if you wanted to work
for me, I'd like to see:
- A sound understanding of general QA principles and the whole development life cycle.
- Good knowledge of QA techniques and when to apply them (e.g. Design for Testability, Mock Objects, Stubs, ...).
- An understanding of the different possible types of testing: unit testing, white box testing, black box testing, system testing, acceptance testing, stress testing, documentation-driven testing, exploratory testing, beta testing, ...
- A feel for what to test so as to get best value for money from testing (since there are an infinite number of things you could test).
- Knowing when to automate a test.
- Know how to ensure requirements are testable.
- Experience writing test plans.
- Experience with Test::More and associated CPAN modules.
- Experience with Test::Harness, Devel::Cover and the prove command.
- Knowledge/experience with tools, such as bug tracking, CM (e.g. Subversion), truss, valgrind, mech, HTML verification tools, lsof, ethereal, wikis, ...
- Ability to write automated test harnesses for black box and system testing.
- Ability to set up test labs.
- Reasonable sysadmin and build engineering skills and domain knowledge.