in reply to
Re: Learn Perl
in thread Learn Perl
.NET is, I'm sure, a good language to learn, and I've seen some job ads requiring it, but I have no experience with it. This language does tie you to the Windows platform
- .NET is a platform, not a language. You can write .NET applications in C#, ASP, VisualBasic, etc.
- You aren't necessarily tied to Windows using .NET, thanks to the Mono Project. That said, getting support for .NET applications outside of Windows could be tricky.
One of the things I like about Perl is how complete it's multi-platform support is:
- The Perl interpreter works just about anywhere. Even on the iPhone...
- Writing cross-platform apps is easy, thanks to things like File::Spec
- There's a huge library of pre-existing, cross-platform solutions in the form of CPAN.
Put succinctly, I guess I'd say it's the community, stupid! :)
Ramblings and references
“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” — Herm Albright
I haven't found a problem yet that can't be solved by a well-placed trebuchet