Happiness. If I am happy, I can focus on anything I want.
in reply to Maintaining one's focus while working (alpha/beta/delta brain waves)
Maintaining focus really depends on external sources, you
can practice all you want, but most of us will still be
slaves to our emotions - of course, I choose to continue
to practice, because the benefits are there.
As for work,
if I can't get anything done - and I know that I won't
be missed, I'll take off with a good book to a coffee shop
and read up on the craft, without a computer in front of
me. But at the same time, if I feel extra creative or just
happen to solve a problem at midnight, I'll log on and
work from home.
I don't think creativity can be harnessed to a 9 to 5
schedule. You have to take the moments when you can.
jeffa's guide to meditation: YMMV and will!
This really works, and it only takes 30 minutes to feel
like you have rested for 8 hours. It is hard and takes a
lot of practice, however. I have successfully achieved
meditation before, but only 3 times. Most of the time I
can only practice at keeping my mind quiet.
- lie down on your back, make sure your neck is comfortable
- don't think - take all of your thoughts and direct them
to /dev/null, continue when your mind is sufficiently stable
- breathe deep - breathe fresh air in from 'the top of your
head', and the stale old air out 'the bottom of your feet'
- if nobody is around - chant! as you breathe out, low
and strong - sounds silly, but the VIBRATIONS in your throat
will help you to concentrate and keep the chit chat away
- your head should be light and buzzing, keep breathing
- start with your feet - put them to sleep, feel them
- move up your legs, torso, and arms - neck and face
muscles - all completely relaxed and NUMB, but there
- your mind should now be awake, but your body is asleep -
hold on as long as you can, and don't be afraid: fear is the
mind killer, it will snap you back awake
Hope this helps . . .Oh yeah, almost forgot - control.
Don't try to take control of everything, just let it go.
I am still working on this one. :)
The opinions and views expressed by jeffa are by no means
shared by PM or E2,
readers are encourage to seek a professional guru