in reply to
Re: Major update to perldoc.perl.org
in thread Major update to perldoc.perl.org
OK, maybe some will agree, maybe I'll just be shunned for saying it but I think the new look is a horrible step backwards for perldoc.
I wouldn't be that harsh, but I definitely preferred the previous version. It was uncluttered, it was resizeable, readability was better. The top bar is quite annoying to me (if I want to go back to top I have a "Home" key) because it makes scrolling stutter. It sure looks better in a way, like Eclipse looks better than Emacs, or Microsoft Word looks better than Vi :)
My suggestions :
- instead of a large top bar, a floating toolbar on the right side would be better, as it wouldn't overlay text but the useless light grey side, it wouldn't obstruct reading and probably cause less stuttering. And as we're at it, put the search box in it so it can be more useful.
- Really, fixed central column width? It's a step backward! Just when almost all corporate websites finally got rid of it...
- I'd prefer a lighter and less colourful theme overall, but that's just me.
- The perl version select box protrudes out of its box for me too : Linux, Firefox 3.5.1 as well as Konqueror 3.5.10
- By the way, the top bar doesn't float at all in Konqueror. That only confirms that I like it better when it keeps at rest :)
Anyway, I want to thank you very much for the hard work and the nice website. As the say goes, quid bene amat bene castigat.