This is my attempt to record some of the things that I thought
were most interesting about YAPC 19101. All errors are my own;
please /msg me about them. And please add your own experiences.
Apprenticeship Projects by Adam Turoff.
Many smart people have large numbers of ideas for perl projects they
personally don't have time for. Want to tackle one of these?
- (Don't remember whose project this was) perl power tools -
reimplementing unix as perl- see turnstep's writeup.
- Michael G Schwern offerred: CPANTS - CPAN Testing System
- perl books
project - Uri Guttman wants to mentor someone.
- Nathan Torkington has a number of ideas relating to developing
Catagory Killers in perl. need to make it so people can't reimplement in, say, java. must use perl as
- code analysis tools:
changed lines of code between rcs/cvs logs;
#include diagrams; what code uses this macro? linked lists? symbol tracking
turn code into linked HTML: click on a symbol, see where it's used; block
folding; mouseovers can have interesting effects.
- obfuscation tools. 'nuff said.
- pretty print: text::Autoformat tools
- Competitive Analysis project- compare top apps, reimplement them in perl.
- java, newly popular
- c++ established
- Python, claim of better engineering. 'httplib' is supposed to be better
than LWP. LWP is crusty and old? Documentation is possibly better.
- Python Friendship Project- learn python, strengths/weaknesses. improve
perl. improve python. work on projects together.
- perl documentation project:
- articles for beginners, intermediate, advanced.
- topic guides, HOWTOs, ...
*sigh* gotta run and catch a plane. Back later with more..
Edit: chipmunk 2001-06-17