I think you need to answer a couple of questions first:
- What do you expect to happen when you serialize the DB connection? Should the DB connection be closed? What should be stored in the serialized data structure?
- What do you expect to happen when you de-serialize the DB connection? Should the connection happen immediately? What about waiting until the first query because you may not actually use the DB connection at every given de-serialization.
There are some further concerns:
- Should passwords be stored? If so, how?
- How should DBI connections using DBD::Excel or DBD::CSV work?
- What should happen if you de-serialize the thing and attempt to use the DB connection on a box that doesn't have the right things installed?
And I'm sure that I'm missing some concerns. In other words, serializing stuff that uses external resources is non-trivial. I've run into the same problem with DBM::Deep
and I don't have a really good way to solve it as of yet.
My criteria for good software:
- Does it work?
- Can someone else come in, make a change, and be reasonably certain no bugs were introduced?
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||