Update 2016-12-14: See this reply: Although the site is back up at the moment, the document has also been mirrored here on PerlMonks, at Short, Self-Contained, Correct Example. It can be linked to via [id://1177642], and [SSCCE] will also direct the user to the correct page via a "faqstring" node (thanks to jdporter for setting this up).
I just read [Perl6] [+] on a list... with a Junction, and saw the Consideration for it to be re-titled as OT: "Perl6" from [+] on a list... with a Junction, and wondered if this is something that needs standardization. There are going to be more posts that deal specifically with Perl 6 -- and it would be nice to use the title differentiate these posts in some way. This would serve readers, as well as future archivists.
For this post, how about Perl 6: [+] on a list... with a Junction?
Is there a reason why the entry page to the site - The Monastery Gates -- reverted from having posts in maybe 6 or 7 NOV, to where the newest post was from OCT31? (Or is that somehow stuck in my cache? But reloading the page from my browser did not help.)
I've noticed that the node reputation required
to make it into
Selected Best Nodes ("50 of the top 2000 nodes of all time!") is around 99 to 100 votes.
And yet, for the past five years,
there have been no centurian nodes
at all. None.
For the past five years, therefore, many delightful
nodes disappeared from view forever
once they expired from Best Nodes.
That makes me feel sad.
So I went through the meditations
of the past five years and hand-picked some of the
highest rated nodes from that period.
Apologies if I missed some classics --
I cannot super-search by node rep,
so may have overlooked some gems.
Please feel free to respond with
classic nodes from the past five years
that you feel are worthy of a wider audience.
Accessing PerlMonks has been very slow for me today, and my first attempt at posting a reply to amazon sns subscription resulted in the empty node Reaped: Re: amazon sns subscription, which also didn't end up as a child of that node, but in RAT it shows up in the "Notes" section. Not sure what's going on, but I did notice that yesterday's node Re^4: wide scrollbars also ended up in the "Notes" section.
Update 2: I'm assuming someone saw my post, since now, a few minutes after posting, the site's speed seems to be picking up a little bit - still not fast, but better. Thanks!
Thanks, -- Hauke D
Update: Clarification: first attempt was unsuccessful, second attempt was successful
(aka "What's New at PerlMonks" in the Information Nodelet
and "What's New" in the block of links at the top of each page)
is updated infrequently: there have been just nine additions in the last two years: 4 in 2016 and 5 in 2015.
It is far from obvious when changes occur.
I would like to propose that some prominent notification of changes to this node be implemented.
It would seem that a rare instance of the vote fairy being late or not having visited has occurred. I seem to recall this happening at least a couple of times in the past, it's a very rare occurrence. The number of votes I have left today is the number I had left over from yesterday. To my knowledge one of these instances was related to a problem with a code change, I don't remember the other root cause. Posting this as it's now been discussed a couple of times in the chatter box. I've also messaged the gods to make them aware of the situation, not that it's a big deal.
As I first wrote in Re^4: Curious: are anon-hashes in random order? in reply to syphilis also noticing it, people have been mistaking the gods as the author of nodes seemingly more often in recent times, since my last post it's happened threemoretimes. The reason is obvious, the top of the Comment on page says "by gods" - if this was changed recently, which I'm not sure of, that would explain why this mistake has happened more often recently. With all respect to the gods and their holy work here, perhaps there is a way to reduce newcomers' confusion by hiding/moving/something the "by gods" on that page?
For most of my time at the Monastery (nearly 4½ years now) I’ve been slowly accumulating information in my private scratchpad. Today I discovered that the majority of that data is gone — apparently just truncated below a certain point. I assume that means I’ve exceeded some pre-set limit? If so, I have three further questions:
Is there any way I can recover the data?
Is the limit local to the private scratchpad, or global across my home node, public scratchpad, and messages?
How can I monitor my data usage in the future to prevent this from re-occurring?
This probably doesn't come as a surprise to many, but I thought I'd throw it out there for those who, like me, haven't realized it before.
We all know that we can link to a node by using its ID: [id://789891|stevieb's home node], but some node IDs have spaces: ChatterBox FAQ. These ones break horribly when trying to use them in [id://ChatterBox FAQ] context.
After years and years of being here, I realized that at the top of every.single.page, the node ID is readily available in the on Nov 07, 2000 at 16:08 EST ( #236794=sitefaqlet: print w/replies, xml ) line, right under the by: $person line. Grab the number to the right of the #, and drop it into the id:// tag: [id://236794], and you're good to go.
I'll bet there are other ways to glean this information, and why I didn't notice it earlier is beyond me. Either way, I thought I'd throw this out there :)