Well, I am, too, waiting for an explanation of simpleconnect(). Anyway,
- use strict;
- use warnings; and check error_log
- my result=0; is missing a $
- $result is scoped wrong
- The eval appears to be useless (I don't recall DBI->connect dying without RaiseError)
- You really ought to set RaiseError to 1.
- Databases stop the transaction and refuse to continue when an error is encountered.
- You ought to commit even with zero changed rows. (Or roll back.)
- Check the error log for database errors.