|Problems? Is your data what you think it is?|
URI::Fetch and LWP::UserAgent strangenessby szabgab (Priest)
|on Dec 30, 2012 at 19:20 UTC||Need Help??|
szabgab has asked for the
wisdom of the Perl Monks concerning the following question:
In the following example I keep getting "1: Forbidden" as output, but I don't see what is the real difference between the two calls. Can anyone see it? UIR::Fetch is at 0.09 and LWP::UserAgent is 6.04.
If I change the $source to be http://code.foo.no/feed then I keep getting "1: Bad Behavior".
Very strange. Other URLs I tried work well.
And just to explain why is this important, I am using XML::Feed to fetch and parse RSS and Atom feeds, and XML::Feed uses the code as it is written in the problematic case. So currently these two feeds keep giving me error.
UpdateI found it. I think. Earlier, when I stepped through the code with the debugger I missed it, but now I saw the difference. The LWP::UserAgent created by URI::Fetch identifies itself as "URI::Fetch/0.09" while the default UserAgent I passed to the fetch method had the default identification string 'libwww-perl/6.04'.
Apparently those two servers refuse to serve to the well known Perl user agent. Probably in an attempt to fend off certain bots.
So I have to change the UserAgent in XML::Feed.