Hello Perl wise ones, forgive me if I'm having my usual frustration with installing Perl modules on Windows XP with ActiveState. I specifically want to install DBD::JDBC.
- I don't see it in the list when running ppm, and "ppm install DBD-JDBC" doesn't find it.
ppm install DBD-JDBC
ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provides DBD-JDBC
- I also tried installing DBD::ODBC and got an "authorization required" error, but I don't know where to "authorize."
ERROR: 401 Authorization Required
- I tried adding cpan to the repository list in ppm (http://www.cpan.org) but zero modules are added.
- I tried installing with cpan. I get dozens of errors, including a C Compiler not being installed. Just running "cpan" gives me this:
It looks like you don't have a C compiler and make utility installed.
to install dmake and the MinGW gcc compiler using the Perl Package Man
This may take a a few minutes...
Downloading MinGW-188.8.131.52...failed 401 Authorization Required
ppm.bat install failed: 401 Authorization Required
It looks like the installation of dmake and MinGW has failed. You wil
+l not be
able to run Makefile commands or compile C extension code. Please che
internet connection and your proxy settings!
cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.9402)
Enter 'h' for help.
- I looked at the instructions for installing modules on cpan.org which says you need a C compiler: "(it's easy to get this setup - don't panic), see your OS of choice below to find out how to get the right compiler." ... but couldn't find any instructions on how to install this.
Perhaps this is all related to the authorization error? Any idea how I can get running here?
Thank you as always...