|P is for Practical|
Re^10: Thread terminating abnormally COND_SIGNAL(6)by rmahin (Scribe)
|on Jul 18, 2013 at 17:51 UTC||Need Help??|
Seriously awesome insights, and you've touched on one of the design decisions we made a while back.
Jobs get queued to resource specific queues.
We discussed this at great length, and decided on our current approach for one main reason (that i dont think i really mentioned before): When a job is first issued, it does not necessarily have to be set for a specific resource, but it could have a list of resource that are an adequate match. This being the case, we could still definitely make it work, but just werent entirely happy with some of the caveats. We saw two main approaches to tackling this:
With those points in mind, do you still think multiple resource specific queues would be the best approach? Legitimately curious. I do however see your point about there being a bottlneck in our queue, but with the current implementation, I dont really think its quite as bad as you say.
If you have a lot of jobs queued for popular (or slow; or both) resources at the head of your queue; you are going to be constantly polling over those pending jobs and querying the DB for the resource status;
Because again we only query the database one time per pass over the array, not each individual element. After we do that, and build our hash of the available resources, wouldn't checking the jobs be relatively quick? I'm not saying this trying to cling to my current implementation, but I just dont see how querying the database once, building a hash, and checking each node in the single queue would be drastically slower than dequeueing constantly, and checking the database every time.
(This is just me thinking how I would avoid your undefined jobnode issue. If you're happy with your current solution, stick with it.:)
Yeah, i appreciate the advice, I wouldnt say im thrilled with it, but I think it would take a decent bit of time to rework this aspect, and at the moment I'm just not seeing the benefits justifying it. (Although the code would be much prettier :( )
You had me at:
So don't queue nodes; queue node ids.
Genius. Again, ashamed I did not think of this. Shouldn't be terribly difficult to implement either.
This next bit is speculative and would require careful thought and analysis; but if your architecture lends itself, you may even avoid the need to do locking on %nodes.
Definitely an intriguing idea. I'll keep this in mind, but think i'll have to get stuff working without before really investigating this aspect :P
I can almost feel your frustration as you read this and are thinking: "But I'd have to re-write the whole damn thing"! If it doesn't work for you, just don't do it! You don't even have to tell me :)
Quite the contrary, I am a fresh CS graduate and do not work with any programming (let alone perl) experts. I'm happy for the suggestions and advice. Only way to learn.