Thanks for posting that, taint. I am already aware of it, and will probably wind up going down that path as my examination of AppConfig doesn't lead me to think that I can come up with a simple work-around short of applying the patch posted in the bug report.
If I do decide to follow that path, it will be for the purpose of being granted co-maintainer status for the sole intent of applying that patch (giving proper credit, of course.) I haven't yet examined the other bugs in detail, so I don't know if those are ones that I can deal with at this time.
It helps to remember that the primary goal is to drain the swamp even when you are hip-deep in alligators.