in reply to
Being a monk: why you'll love it, why you'll hate it
I think with a simple s/PerlMonks/Life/g these are a bit more broad. :)
Life, Why you'll love it
- You'll learn something new from many experiences you have
- You'll lean something new even about things that are not strictly about your life, but related to it (philosophy, art, science).
- You can exchange ideas with contemperaries.
- You'll get good advice from people experienced at living.
- You'll get good adivce from people experienced at giving good advice.
- Someone will say you taught him/her something new and it will make you happy!
- Some things you do will be praised by others, and you'll be proud.
- You say something obvious to you, but those around you didn't think it was so obvious and receive praise.
- You see your karma going up and up... (insert afterlife statement here)
Why you'll hate it
- You'll get bored with dealing with the same kinds of people, over and over again.
- You'll get bothered by people whose interests aren't exactly yours.
- You'll look for help, and find yourself alone.
- You'll ask important earth-shattering questions, and receive only silence in response.
- You'll be criticised for things you thought you did well.
- You'll be ashamed of things you did poorly.
- When you've worked very hard at something, tried your best, and did a wonderful job it will fail anyway.
- You keep getting re-incarnated, darn it... :)
- You'll be misunderstood and harassed by people who simply aren't paying attention to what you're trying to say.
- You'll run into people who will hate you for no reason at all.