I'm with Larry on this one:
People who don't bother to put a symbolic link in /usr/bin when they install Perl deserve to have to edit the scripts that they download.
(You likely have to move, rename, and chmod the script anyway. When I did lots of Unix stuff, I put shell scripts and Perl scripts in the src directory as this.SH and that.PL and had default install scripts that transformed this.SH into an executable "this" in the proper "bin" directory. The one for Perl scripts would have also fixed the #! line except that I always made sure I had a /usr/bin/perl symlink on all of my systems so I didn't have to.) (: