in reply to
My favorite other on-line community is...
Actually, of the "on-line communities" I visit regulary, perlmonks is my
least favourite. These are the communities I visit regulary, in backwards
order of when I joined:
- Perlmonks. Since 2Q 2002 as 'Abigail-II', before that as Abigail,
with about a year of not being here.
- alt.sysadmin.recovery. I joined this Usenet group in 1997 or 1998.
I recently ended my year long vacation from Usenet.
- IRC, #perl. Since early 1997. Certainly the busiest community I visit.
Of all the people I know both in RL and from an on-line community,
I know most of them from IRC.
- p5p, the perl5-porters mailing list. Since about the same time as IRC.
I'm a member of about a dozen mailinglists (the exact number varies
over time), but this is the only one that gives me some sense of
- comp.lang.perl.misc, previously comp.lang.perl. Since Januari 1995,
the same day I started to use Perl. This community has given me
the best exposure over the years.
- VikingMUD, since 1993, and before that, IgorMUD, since 1991. My most
precious community. By far the least amount of traffic, but I've
spend 1354 days there. That 1354 * 24 hours being online there.
It has given me jobs and some very deep (and long) friendships.
- nl.eeuwig.september, split-off from nl.misc, which was called
nlnet.misc before, and nlnet.general even before that. Been part
of that community since 1988 - some members go back even further.