|Perl Monk, Perl Meditation|
Perl vs. PHPby nikos (Scribe)
|on Aug 13, 2004 at 17:31 UTC||Need Help??|
It's so hard to see but it turns out employers prefer to use PHP for their new developments. Several times I was stuck thinking how to prove that Perl is the way to go.
My short list of facts:
1) Have you ever seen in your life a one-liner in PHP? ...no...I guess
2) Lot's of modules (CPAN). All of them well-organized and ready to go
3) Easy-to-use and implement tough things in a few lines of code. Number 3 in the list is close to Number 1... still
4) Imagine PHP embedded in HTML using a template engine... Common, how many time have you seen a php script in a separate file?
5) PHP is easier to learn and can be taught at high schools. Perl is much more complicated and requires more skills to start writing 'medium-level' scripts. That's why many people use it as they learned it at school. The last fact is common for beginners.
6) How do you write a regex in PHP? Perl?
I remember the good times when Perl was so popular and almost everyone from my friends who programmed used it for his challenging tasks and his everyday routine.
Any ideas, additions, corrections ... threatenings are welcome.
And remember ... Perl is GREAT !!!