Welcome to the 4th annual Favourite modules listing thread!
I think that after 2002, 2003, and 2004, you know the drill and the reason1. Let's list our current favourite modules!
Unfortunately, I have not used Perl as much as I would have liked the past 12 months. There is only one addition to my list, and it's a very exciting module by xmath that has made some neat features in DBIx::Simple possible2 and can really speed up some operations.
- Data::Alias, that aliases where perl would normally copy.
- WWW::Mechanize, used it a lot this year
- DBD::SQLite, although theoretically this can't be above DBI, the new version of the SQLite library itself is so great, it bumps up the DBD as well
- DBI, up just because I've used it more than the next three
- File::Slurp, which now properly handles dynamic files with reported sizes of 0, like /proc/cpuinfo
What are YOUR favourite modules in current time and space?
1 If you really don't see the point, read the older versions of this thread. You WILL discover some exciting modules you hadn't used before!
2 To be honest, that was Data::Swap, but Data::Alias has taken over its features, adding the all new and shiny alias.