in reply to
time for new highs?
This topic pops up occasionaly, and seems to keep boiling down to the same things:
- PM XP doesn't equate tightly to Perl abilities.
- Testing Perl ability is subjective at best, wildly inaccurate at worst.
- Testing Perl ability appears to be beyond vroom's intent for PM.
- PM XP does reflects some rough mix of a monk's:
- Site contribution
- Site participation
- Perl expertise
- Longevity at PM
- Hang out a bit and you quickly figure out who to respect and who has expertise in what realms.
I'm not holding my breath for vroom
or monks like merlyn
, etc. to volunteer to judge their fellow monks' competance. Testing just doesn't seem too likely here.
The last time I felt unworthy of my rank, an elder monk said some of the above, followed by (and I quote)"Get used to it!" Mind you, I'm not comparing myself to any of our recognized Perl geniuses, just relaying what was told me. 8^)
striving for Perl Adept
(it's pronounced "why-bick")