PXPerl comes with SciTE, a lot of free text editors are based on the Scintilla text editing widget, take notepad++ for example, so naturally, I gave it a spin. A short list of what I like and what I miss, though for the latter maybe I just haven't found it yet:
in reply to Perl Development Tools
What I like:
- good syntax highlighter for Perl
- brace/bracket/parens balance matching
- invoking external tools (i.e. perl) and capturing its STDOUT and STDERR
- block folding
What I miss:
- Sticky indents, I prefer the next line to automatically indent on the same column position as the previous line. A tab entry should indent one more position, a backspace should outdent to the previous indentation level. Just for clarity: it doesn't do that.
- block indent and outdent: select multiple lines and indent/outdent them with one button or menu click
There probably are more points worthy to be added, but I haven't noticed them yet. After all, I've only been using this editor on and off for a few weeks.
One thing's for sure: it doesn't bond with the Perl debugger, so if that's a make or break point for you, you can safely skip this editor.