I assume you already know about my PerlMonks modules,
so I will skip the obvious plug (which I just did, anyway :-)
in reply to RedWolf MonkChatter
What actually surprised me is that I was convinced that I had
used XML::Simple for parsing the chatbox XML (I wrote it
a long time ago), but I just
looked and I also did manual parsing. The chatbox XML is so
simple that I didn't feel the need for it. I may have to
update that some time. I did use XML::Simple for the
NewestNodes module, though, since the output is much more
complex. And XML::Simple is very easy to use. Interestingly,
I don't remember the XML modules being problematic to install.
Another thing that surprised me is how similar the code is.
Comparing your do_update() with my PerlMonks::Chat::getallines()
shows a very similar logical structure, even though the code
itself is different. Amazing!