in reply to Dereferencing a Hash of Hashes of Hashes?
perldoc perldsc will give you lots of information how to deal with that kind of structures. It's not that hard.
Update: expanding more directly on you bulleted list:
- is it possible to step through the hashref and return the data with some sort of magic/test to see what's there?
- For the 1st part see perldsc. For the second part: ref
- How can one tell if these keys would be returned in the same order every time from this (or similar) module?
- There are modules that implement ordered hashes. But plain vanilla Perl hashes are unordered by design.
- Is this type of data structure encountered other times, with other modules?
If this is just a one-off occurrence, perhaps it's not even worth bothering with figuring out how to do this.
- This is a weird question in my perception. This kind of structure is the bread and butter of every day perl programming.