in reply to
Padre originator polls "Which editor(s) or IDE(s) are you using for Perl development?"
Now for the follow up question, which is "Why do people use the editor(s) that they use". ISTM that knowing which editors folks use isn't very useful if you don't know why. I see some of the folks commenting are adding the answer to that question in the comments.
FWIW, I voted. Since I really don't want yet-another-account-somewhere-on-the-net just to make one comment (and the Padre folks seem to hang out here), I'll leave my comment(s) here.
- vi(m) - because it's everywhere I go.
- nedit - for it's macro capability mostly, and there are times when I need to NOT have a unicode editor.
- geany - (mostly) remembers which files I had open last and automagically opens them back up.
- gedit - Gnome defaults to this one, and they have smart code snippets.
- perl -pi -e "s/.../.../" $file - quick and to the point.
- cat, sed, awk, etc. - some days I must just be a little masochistic. :^0