I got in touch with the maintainer of Wx after writing the OP. Save for the incompatibility with VS6, all the issues listed in the OP have been resolved.
I have just successfully installed Wx using the following procedure:
- Download "Visual C++ 2008 Express edition".
- Install it under C:\Progs (Or wherever you want. This is where I installed it.)
- "C:\Progs\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\vcvarsall"
- cpan Alien::wxWidgets (You can surely skip this step as it should be done by the next.)
- cpan Wx
- cpan Wx::Demo (optional)
- ActivePerl 5.12.0 build 1200
My build environment:
The versions installed: