The criteria are as follows:
- Plot support: Be able to render line, pie and bar charts.
- License: Preferably free and open source.
- Cost: Preferably gratis or low-cost.
- Multi browser support: Preferably a framework that works with most common browsers (e.g. Firefox 2 & 3, Internet Explorer 7 & 8, Safari, Google Chrome, Opera).
- Extensibility: Possible to extend or override functionality.
- Off line capable: Do not require internet access.
The frameworks evaluated (with shortcomings) to date are:
- YUI Charts: Fails on pure JS criteria (uses Flash).
- Protovis: Fails on Multi browser support (does not support IE).
- DyGraphs: Fails on Multi browser support (relies on html5 canvas element which is unsupported in IE prior to version 9), line chart only.
- HighCharts: Fails on license (commercial, proprietary), otherwise very rich in features.
- FusionCharts Free: Fails on pure JS criteria (uses Flash)
- Raphael Vector Graphics: Fails on (out of the box) chart support.
I seek the advise from the wider Monk crowd on options and possibilities I may have missed out on. Thank you.
No matter how great and destructive your problems may seem now, remember, you've probably only seen the tip of them.