in reply to
Re: Proposal: eliminate down-votes
in thread Proposal: eliminate down-votes
To be sure, BrowserUk calls you out severely when he believes you are wrong.
Just for counterpoint, I didn't start out being quite so direct in my responses. Here are a few earlier posts where I attempted to inform him that he was providing bad information:
- Re^4: How do I cleanly kill a spawned process on Win32. --
- Re^3: Better algorithm or data structure? --
"At this point, I can say no better than; "Show me the code":)"
- Re^2: In-place sort with order assignment --
"No. I read you the first time.... As for all the "old-timer" logic. Been there, done that. (Don't ever wanna go back:)."
- Re^2: A matter of style: how to perform a simple action based on a simple condition? --
"Would you expect a non-musician to be able to work out how a piece of music will sound, from "a glance" at the score?"
- Re^2: Perl5.8.4 , threads - Killing the "async" kid --
"You don't even know the difference between threads & Thread as you keep conflating the two. And yet, you continue to keep offering advice based upon your misreading of the documentation."
- Re^2: Changing registry permissions --
"More of your trademark, utterly meaningless "advice"."
- Re^2: fixed set of forked processes --
"Please don't suggest the use of Thread::Queue::Duplex until you've used it, and therefore encountered its limitations."
- Re^2: Looking for advice on how to tune stack size for threads --
"Sorry, but this is another case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing."
- Re^2: Simple date and time manipulation --
- Re^2: Cloning shared hashref --
"If you'd bothered to look, you'd have realised that the sole purpose of Clone::clone() is to perform deep copies.
If you'd looked at Storable, you'd have discovered that it doesn't export a routine called clone().
And if you bothered to try dclone(), you'd have found that it produces exactly the same error."
- Re^2: Array or Hash --
- Re^2: [OT]: threading recursive subroutines. --
"Once again, you offer a few authoritative sounding 'wisdoms' in place of 'an answer'."
- Re^2: Multi-kernel processors. --
"You're talking bollocks again!
If a process is using 100% cpu, it cannot be doing any I/O. If it is doing no I/O then I/O cannot be a constraint of any kind, let alone a fundamental one.
Why do you continue to spout such shite?"
As you can see, I started out with gentle nudges and corrections. It was only after they were completely ignored that I gradually ramped up the directness of my replies.
With the rise and rise of 'Social' network sites: 'Computers are making people easier to use everyday'
Examine what is said, not who speaks -- Silence betokens consent -- Love the truth but pardon error.
"Science is about questioning the status quo. Questioning authority".