|The stupid question is the question not asked|
Converting UTF8 to Latin1by sumeetgrover (Scribe)
|on Jun 20, 2012 at 08:14 UTC||Need Help??|
sumeetgrover has asked for the
wisdom of the Perl Monks concerning the following question:
I have tried looking for some information about converting UTF8 data into Latin1 and could not find exactly what I was looking for.
Background: I have a UTF8 RSS feed supplied to us by our clients. I have parsed the RSS data into appropriate data structures.
Now, the problem is that all our database and website pages only support Latin1 / ISO-8859-1 encoding. I would like to encode the UTF8 data into Latin1, but what turns out are some extra or junk characters when converted into Latin1.
I have tried using the encode("iso-8859-1",$string) function to encode UTF8 data into Latin1, but as I mentioned, it introduces extra or junk characters.