The entire basis for this poll is contained in node Roll Call - How new is your Perl?
The basic question is: how old is the perl you're working with (i.e.- at your $job). And by extension, do you get to use Modern::Perl at $work?
You can generally choose whatever version of Perl you want to use at $home. It's not an issue. You have choice. On the other hand, at $work things are often much more restrictive.
Poll: Modern::Perl at $work
- I get to use Modern::Perl features (and like it)
- I have to use Modern::Perl features (and hate it)
- I can't use newer Perl features at all, but I would If I could. I'm stuck at 5.8.8 or below.
- I'm happy to just use regular Perl features dating back to the turn of the century, tried, true, and all I need.
- Are you kidding? Everything I do is a one-file-hack because I'm not allowed to use anything but core modules anyway and upgrading is totally out of the question.
- What is Modern::Perl?
- I think everyone should be using Lisp, and never shut up about it.
A mistake can be valuable or costly, depending on how faithfully you pursue correction
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||