We (as so many others) use perl intensivly, but we are currently stuck with the stock RHEL6 perl (that is 5.10.1).
I am considering building our own perl (in /opt/somehwere), adding the modules that we need, and keeping that up-to-date (using jenkins to build our own RPMs for deployment). I have a feeling about the amount of work involved with this (been down that road before), and my boss asked the ultimative question:
Is it worth it?
So I started to prepare a what's-the-difference tutorial (from perldelta's), then 5.18.0 came along and threw given/when and ~~ into experimental::smartmatch, so now I am (almost) back to square 0. Almost all I got is some optimizations and some hash-key security...
Compared to 5.10.1, why should I upgrade to 5.18.0?
- I know the pain, what is the gain?
- What do you think is the most important arguments for upgrading to 5.18.0?
- How will 5.18.0 make us happier, our life easier and sun shine more frequently?
- Or am I complete lost, and should I continue being stuck with the stock?
Thank you Monks, for allowing a humble perler interrupt you.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||