Note that the incrementation sequences are
0..9 => 0 + carry|1 i.e 10
A..Z => A + carry|A i.e. AA
a..z => a + carry|a i.e aa
- bz => ca
- wrapping the z->a gives a carry to the b next in Lower a..z is c.
- Zz => AAa
- wrapping the z->a gives a carry to the Z next in Upper case A..Z is AA.
- z9 => aa0
- incrementing 9 wraps round to zero, passing a carry up to the z. Next up from z is aa
- 9z => 10
- tricked you!! - string autoincrement only works on patterns matching regex /^[a-zA-Z]*[0-9]*\z/, this doesn't match that pattern, so treats leading number(s) as the (numeric?) value and increments that. 9 goes to 10 :-)
If you spot any bugs in my solutions, it's because I've deliberately left them in as an exercise for the reader! :-)
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||