Minor amendments -- don't turn off the cow-orkers who might have other preconceptions:
- Because it's
often usually installed by default on nix-ish boxen.
- Because it's readily available on
every platform (at least, those I've run into) virtually every significant platform newer than CP/M 86.
- There are a lot of existing modules to tap into
- There is a lot of expertise to draw upon (Perlmonks,some .edu tuts, other sites).
- You don't need to do much to
move Start moving from 'shell script' to 'perl script'...
- It's really good for the types of task that you tend to do a lot of, when doing 'systems programming'. Running commands, capturing and parsing output.
- ... But despite that it's a powerful enough language that you can go a lot further with ease. (OO programming, multithreading, to name a few.)
- I get along with it better than the other languages I've worked with.
Or, to put it another way, it offers a good way to do almost anything other than washing windows and putting the toothpaste back in the tube.
If I've misconstrued your question or the logic needed to answer it, I offer my apologies to all those electrons which were inconvenienced by the creation of this post.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||