A friend recently shared a puzzle that I thought you might enjoy.
You and 7 friends are going to a costume party dressed as letters of the alphabet. Which 8 letters should you choose in order to be able to form the most words.
I asked a few clarifying questions:
- Does capitalization/punctuation matter? - No
- Can more than one person be the same letter? - Yes
- Are words with less than 8 letters allowed? - Yes
- Are words with more than 8 letters allowed (marquee style)? - No
- Is there an official dictionary? - No
Your challenge, if you choose to accept it, is to solve the puzzle (provide code, link to dictionary you used, 8 letter solution as well as the number of words that can be made). If you don't have a dictionary, I tend to use the 2of12inf from the Official 12Dicts Package.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||