I think this also needs a successor "How to write useful answers".
- Listen (Read) intently
- Test your Code, or mark it as untested
- If you want to foster a community, don't be a prick.
- RTFM is nice, RTFM or STFW with links is better
- Be informative, remember, archives are eternal.
- A well written response might become a S result on TFW, or, to quote "What we do in life, echoes in eternity" --Maximus, Gladiator
( Aside: Of course, sometimes I, too, become frustrated at an ignorant post, and lean more toward "At my signal, unleash hell")
I'm by no means suggesting a level of hand holding greater than now occurs (well, maybe a bit), but I think we can show others what is expected of them if we lead by example. Besides, responses that are dense with information and solid (read: Tested) examples begin to create a repository of highly useful, and crossed referenced material, and isn't that what we are after?
( Aside: Hmm, new discussion node there...A count of the number of internal nodes referencing a particular node. This might be a good quick reference on a particular nodes usefulness, excluding manpages, etc...)
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||
Others about the Monastery:
(9)As of 2017-01-24 17:55 GMT