can't believe this thread slipped me for so long...
Well, after some 6 years in (X)emacs and with a configuration of some 4000 lines of elisp I must have configured my XEmacs (almost) exactly to my needs. What is it that makes this so powerfull for me?
- dabbrev (defaults to M-/): dynamic abbreviations which lets you pick the really long but insightful variable names because you don't have to type them anymore.
- M-x locate so you'll never do the locate in xterm and mark the filename with the mouse again (later pasting that filename into XEmacs anyway)
- speedbar one of the finest tools for navigation in large projects I've ever come across
- desktop for re-opening all the files on the next day
- active-menu.el (see the website) for one more line of code
- function-menu for another navigation mechanism which works only in the current buffer (a buffer is usually a representation of a file in the editor)
- saveplace to find myself at exactly the cursor position as the last time I opened that file
- cperl auto help shows a short syntactic information; good if it has been a while since your last perl programm
- and thousands of other things that don't spring to my mind in this moment
you begin bashing the string with a +42 regexp of confusion
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||