Some very hard-to-debug breakage can happen when systems are deployed remotely, and the remote environment changes. To save yourself grief, provide a facility to
dump the environment into the log!
You have little control over when a customer might install the latest MS service pack, and service packs have a history of breaking things. Or, a customer might do a database upgrade, or an upgrade of some component you depend upon.
To defend against this, consider adding a logging option that will dump the following in to the log
- Checksums (or MD5 hashs) of your components
- The versions of all packages you depend on
- The versions (or sizes and timestamps) of all .DLLs or shared objects you depend on
- The OS version and patch level
- The database version (which you can usually query from the database after connecting)
- Available disk space
- Anything else that's appropriate for your application
Having this info in-hand can save hours of work, particularly when your support folks are dealing with a customer who is yelling loudly that your stuff is broken, and that nothing, nothing! on their end has changed.
And getting set up to record this info forces you to know your application at a deeper level, which can also be a win.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||