To me, searching is still one of the most frustrating things about the Monastery. While unbeatably simple, the available methods are woefully underpowered. There are two ways to search: by title (Search box) or full-text (Super Search). A month ago this was passable as there wasn't nearly as much content, but as the site grows, searches that aren't extremely specific are virtually useless. A remedy I propose is the addition of some search options to Super Search. A few suggestions for options:
- Ordering of results by specific field, e.g. date, node reputation, search hits per page, poster experience
- Areas of the site to search
- Whether to search replies
- Search type, e.g. exact phrase, all words, any words
I haven't gone through the Everything code but from an SQL standpoint I don't think the first three would be all that hard to implement. This would greatly help Monks with longer memories who would like to include a link to a previous discussion when answering a duplicated question.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||