If I understand jjhorner
right, I agree wholeheartedly:
Gaining XP by voting (and being voted on) appears to work very well to encourage positive participation.
What may be needed is a mechanism to prevent an intermediate-at-best Perler like myself from advancing to Friar, Bishop or such just by being a reasonably well behaved Monk for a long time. Make me advance in my coding ability if I want to advance as a Monk.
- XP could still work as it does now.
- When XP earned to advance level, Monk must author documentation that benefits PM before gaining new level.
- Alternate methods of demonstrating Perl expertise are also possible.
- Monk earns no further XP until doc presented and approved by group of high-level Monks.
- Monk could be pre-emptive by presenting doc before XP earned, but only for the next level.
- Review process might begin at Monk (5) level.
Having said that, I still have questions or concerns:
- how would the review board be selected?
- how could plaguerism be prevented?
- retroactive or not?
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||