A few nits with the regex bits (these are common traps, even for experts):
- The regex metacharacter ^ means "start of string", not "start of line" (unless the /m modifier is used)
- The regex metacharacter $ means "end of string", not "end of line" (unless the /m modifier is used)
- . is "any char except \n" or just "not \n" (unless the /s modifier is used)
A few possible additions:
- Regex "start of string" is \A
- Regex "end of string" is \Z
- Regex "absolute end of string (i.e. no trailing \n) is \z
- Another commonly ignored "NEVER" is: /$userinput/
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||