I've made myself a couple of Mozilla bookmarks with keywords that let me navigate the monastery as well as CPAN with very little hassle and thought I'd share. I've been using them for a while, and I can't imagine doing without these neat little helpers anymore.
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<DT><A HREF="http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node=%s" SHORTC
+UTURL="pm">Perl Monks Search</A>
+message=%s" SHORTCUTURL="pmc">Perl Monks Chat</A>
+ Monks Bookmark</A>
+uery=%s" SHORTCUTURL="cpan">CPAN Module query</A>
<DT><A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=%s" SHORTC
<DT><A HREF="http://images.google.com/images?safe=off&q=%s" SH
+p&q=%s" SHORTCUTURL="gd">Google Directory</A>
<DT><A HREF="http://news.google.com/news?svnum=100&q=%s" SHORT
<DT><A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?num=100&q=%s" SHO
To use, DL the code, save the file somewhere, search&replace "put_your_username_here" with your own username
, go to Mozilla's bookmark manager and import it. You'll get a new folder "Keywords" in your bookmarks, and henceforth you'll have the following shortcuts available to type into the addressbar:
- pm foo
- Mnemonic for "Perl Monks". Go to node "foo". As always, you can also enter a node ID there. I usually "enter" the monastery by typing "pm 106" into my addressbar, bringing me to The Default Node.
- pmc blah blah blah
- Mnemonic for "Perl Monks Chat". You will utter "blah blah blah" onto the chatterbox. This is cool, though not very useful.
- pmb 31415
- Mnemonic for "Perl Monks Bookmark". This needs a node ID, which it turns into an [id://31415] style link to /msg to yourself. Intended to be used while browsing, deleting the usual http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id= prefix in the address bar and typing "pmb " in front of the node ID.
- cpan Foo::Bar
- Perform a CPAN module query for Foo::Bar.
As a freebie, you also get qw(gw gg gd gi gn) shortcuts for Google Web, Groups, Directory, Images and News searches, respectively, an fm shortcut for Freshmeat queries and an fd one for freedb searches.
Makeshifts last the longest.
20030403 Edit by Corion: s!\broot\b!put_your_username_here! (plus some other minor formattings)
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||