Beefy Boxes and Bandwidth Generously Provided by pair Networks
XP is just a number
 
PerlMonks  

Comment on

( #3333=superdoc: print w/ replies, xml ) Need Help??
use Disclaimer::IANAL;
My understanding is that everything that you say (or write, type, etc.) is copyrighted. Consequently, your words can only be repeated either with your permission, or in the context of fair use. (It's also worth noting that, unlike patents, copyright doesn't prevent independant creation, e.g. if I, in Ohio, say "Hello", and Bob, in California and not having heard me, says "Hello" five minutes later, it's not infringement, and we both have copyright on what we said. Of course, this examle is invalid, because something as trivial as "Hello" couldn't be copyrighted.)

Fair use is, of course, a complicated, vague concept. However, it's generally held that short quotations are acceptable. Everything else is not well defined.

To wit, this is legally on solid ground (though it's rather rude):

"Monk XYZ is a big dork, because he said, 'blah blah Perl blah blah blah Java'"!
Whereas this is potentially (again, the law isn't very clear) a case of copyright infringement.
"Hey, I just got flamed by MONK XYZ! Look at what he said!

> Dear So-and-so
>
> You suck! Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah.
> Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah.
> Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah.
> Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah.
> Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah.
> - Me
Though it's certainly possible that Monk XYZ would be proud of the flame, and wouldn't mind you repeating it.

--
Ryan Koppenhaver, Aspiring Perl Hacker
"I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave."


In reply to RE: Who owns your words? A resolution is needed. by rlk
in thread Who owns your words? A resolution is needed. by kudra

Title:
Use:  <p> text here (a paragraph) </p>
and:  <code> code here </code>
to format your post; it's "PerlMonks-approved HTML":



  • Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
  • Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
  • Please read these before you post! —
  • Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
    a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
  • Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
            For:     Use:
    & &amp;
    < &lt;
    > &gt;
    [ &#91;
    ] &#93;
  • Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
  • See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
  • Log In?
    Username:
    Password:

    What's my password?
    Create A New User
    Chatterbox?
    and the web crawler heard nothing...

    How do I use this? | Other CB clients
    Other Users?
    Others cooling their heels in the Monastery: (11)
    As of 2014-08-20 20:04 GMT
    Sections?
    Information?
    Find Nodes?
    Leftovers?
      Voting Booth?

      The best computer themed movie is:











      Results (123 votes), past polls